Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Is it okay to be gay?"

Four months ago, I sat in a classroom of about 30 students. My hair was in a messy bun, my tired feet were in heels, and I was still in my work clothes at 8 p.m. Though I wished I could have gone straight home after work, I couldn't.
I had been asked by my brother and sister-in-law to become a Godmother to their beautiful twin boy, my nephew, Nicholas.
Of course, I said yes.
As a result, I had to sacrifice a day out of each week, for 14 weeks, to attend confirmation classes at a Catholic school.
The class was full of newly engaged, newly faithful and newly "I'm-only-here-'cause-I-gotta" people.
Some stared at the priest with open eyes and open hearts. They had just found their faith. Others glanced at their watches every minute, daydreaming of the second they'd step foot through the front door of their home.
I sat in my squeaky, rusted chair, and paid attention. I tried so hard not to nod my head in disapproval.
"Do you have any questions for me?" asked the priest in his thick "Miami accent."
This was probably the better part of the class. Mostly because it meant we were coming to an end, but also because curiosity was rushing through the minds of students, and only the brave would raise their hands to ask questions that seemed taboo in the strict, Catholic church room.
The students glanced around to see who dared to ask a question. One hesitant student raised her hand.
"Is it okay to be gay?" she asked.
Awkward silence filled the room. Every set of eyes rested on the girl. It was an "elephant in the room" kinda scene.
"Well," started the priest. I could tell he was thinking of the right words to say.
"The Church has acknowledged that homosexuals are a part of society. They have the right to be gay, but under Christian law, they cannot practice their sexuality."
What this priest was saying was that gays, lesbians and bisexuals are "permitted" to be those things. They just can't act like it. They can't perform in gay, lesbian or bisexual acts, despite being, in fact, gays, lesbians or bisexuals. It's just not - normal.
The Church, according to this priest, says that human sexuality exists purely for procreation. Humans are put on this earth to make babies, and therefore all of those who have the ability to conceive, must.
And that, as we know it, is why homosexuals must engage in heterosexual activities.
It's like telling your dog to purr like a cat.
Interesting concept, huh?
Not quite.
It's the good ol' American concept. The societal norm that allows the government to exclude homosexuals from rights all other "normal" people are given.
The concept that has hindered gays, lesbians and bisexuals. Bullied them, if you will.
America judges people because of whom they've decided to love and have sex with.
America has decided that what goes on in our bedrooms is its business.
And then, from time to time, another kid shows up on the news for being picked on about his sexuality and driven to depression or even suicide.
Society gets all rattled up, shocked and saddened.
Why are we so surprised? And why do we fail to realize who is to blame?



The following is text from the Human Rights Campaign:




It's 2010 and almost 90% of LGBT youth experience harassment in school, and too many lives have been lost.



It's 2010 and you can still be fired from your job in 29 states for being lesbian, gay or bisexual and in 38 states for being transgender.



It's 2010 and only five states plus DC recognize that love, not gender, is what matters in a marriage.



It's 2010 and more than 14,000 service members have been discharged from the military under the failed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law.



It's 2010 and the government's failure to recognize LGBT families for immigration purposes tears bi-national couples and families apart.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog Zai ! :) Proud of you my biffle peacemaker. <3

    ReplyDelete