Monday, June 14, 2010

Stuart Little

It's kinda bittersweet... you know, this whole "temporary move" thing. In case you DON'T know, I've moved to Stuart, Florida for three months to intern at the Stuart News. I was beyond excited to finally leave the nest, even if it was for just a little while. I was even more excited to work with new people at a newsroom and to get to work with other interns my age. Though my experience at the Palm Beach Post was great, I was the only intern around and at times I kind of just felt, well, lost.

Things are different here.

Wayyy different.

For one, people here are nice. That's not something I'm used to coming from Miami. I mean really, the people here actually slow down and make way for you when you want to switch lanes on the road. They say good morning and good night, even if they don't know you. They smile when you make eye contact. Am I still on the same planet where people sized you up and down if you looked at them? Where people sped up if you wanted to switch into their lane? Where you have to lock your door as soon as you hit a specific part of town because you're scared shitless? Yup, same planet. In fact, only two hours away. It's astonishing.

Anyway, my condo is cute. Two bedrooms/two bathrooms (The other bedroom and bathroom remain untouched. That room freaks me out. I swear, I think it's haunted). I have two, uhh, nice-to-look-at neighbors, if you know what I mean. But the greatest thing of all is that I'm so close to the beach. I go twice a day sometimes. It's awesome. I wish I could surf or fish. Sigh.

What sucks is that I know a handful of people. As the Miami girl that is used to going out every night, I want to pull every single strand of hair out when I see myself sitting on the couch at 8 PM doing absolutely nothing.

Stuart is beautiful. There's beach and there's country. There's nice people, and, well, okay also some not-too-nice people, but I just brush those off.  There's no traffic. There are plenty of things to do, I just have no one to do it with and that, eh, that just SUCKS.

No comments:

Post a Comment